Thursday, April 30, 2009

Knitted Babe, Tree Frog, Pickle Jars, Sun Tea, (and a Picture of Me!)...

This is the first tree frog I have seen this year! And he was hanging out on our picture window which made for an interesting picture...can you see him? If you click on the pictures they will enlarge.










I saw sun tea jars at the store the other day. I was tempted to buy a couple because we LOVE making sun tea! But really, we are pinching pennies and squeezing George til he screams (don't we sound mean? LOL) and on top of that, I have never had good luck with them because the spicket part always ends up leaking. And they do require more cleaning to keep the spicket and lid crevices clean. So I thought I'd come up with something at home and "make do". Let me tell you, it was fun to be creative and the pride for my accomplishment was much more satisfying! Not to mention money saved. I remembered I had saved these giant pickle jars, which turned out to be the perfect size for sun tea jars. The only problem was that I haven't found an effective way to get the lids to stop smelling like pickles, so using them was out. I didn't want to use plastic wrap because of the chemicals and waste. So I thought 'reusable' and sewed the edges of two small squares out of left over material scraps. I tied them up with some cotton yarn to keep them in place while outside and ta da! They work wonderfully! They are easy to pour from and are easy to clean. And they are pretty to look at sitting on the deck too - bright, cheap, and cheery.

I got my first knitted babe done and my daughter loves her! She named her Cassi after one of her sister's friends. I have three more to make at least...one for my other daughter and for two of my nieces for their b-days. I will probably make a couple for Christmas gifts too, I know a couple of more girls who would love them. I sewed her a little pair of undies and a quick dress out of fabric scraps. I still want to add more hair underneath the hair that is there, but my little one was anxious to love on her so she is good enough for now. And she drags her EVERYWHERE! And she buckles her in when she goes in the van with us. I just realized something so I have edited this to add that if you click on the picture of the doll sitting on the shelf, to her left is a picture of me with my husband! Since I have never posted a picture of myself, I thought that might get you all excited. ;) LOL The picture frame says "It's not the destination, it's the journey." I love that frame.

The Dirty Divas are doing great! The are growing fast and are loving their new home and yard. Herding ducks is not an easy task but it is funny....it took three of us forever to get them to go up their ramp! They are so neat because they move as a flock - so they'd go back and forth past the ramp then under it, and repeat. A time or two we have just give up and caught them and put them in...it was easier that way! Last night we went out late to put them to bed and they were already inside on their own. The nights we herded them it was earlier in the evening and we wanted to get them put up. I think we'll just let them put themselves to bed and then go close them in. We have been getting a lot of rain and they enjoy it. I am ready for things to dry out so I can get in the garden. And I am ready for some sunshine! These grey rainy days make me tired.

6 comments:

  1. what an awesome post! I agree about those suntea jars. I got one once and only got a couple uses out of it before I started having problems. But I love sun tea! I have a big giant glass cookie jar. Maybe I will use that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you Miss Susie home-maker?? Knitting lovely dolls (thought that was awesome!!!) and making sun tea out of a pickle jar! Very nice and cheery! Was nice to see a picture of you--very pretty--no reason not to post more :)
    Had to laugh about the duck herding..we have a border collie that I hope might enjoy such work. When we moved here the neighbor's calves were out and I thought--woohoo! I have a border collie to round them up. She had other ideas as she was scared silly, lol...so maybe ducks will be more her pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had good luck with those jars bought from garage sales. Generally they've been around awhile and are the durable kind, plus you don't have much invested if they do go bad. I love your idea though, much cuter and easier to clean like you said!

    Duck herding sounds fun! I thought of your Dirty Divas today at the feed store, the little ducklings were so cute.

    The doll looks great! Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little lady!! She turned out sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. :)

    MBM I think the cookie jar would work great!

    Tbsomeday, I am thinking of doing a farm fashion post (inspired by Jena's sock post a while back) but that would mean I'd have to hold still for the camera. I am pretty sure my attire most days would seriously crack people up and make for some good entertainment! I get funny stares in Wal-Mart, if that tells you anything. LOL :) Between being an at home mom, living on a farm, having gained a few pounds, having a long skirt obsession, and following Dave Ramsey's get out of debt plan...my fashion sense is, well, currently non-existent by today's standards. :) But hey, I am ok with that!

    Jena, I wonder if the older ones are tried and true then. It seems like the newer ones (like so many other things) are just cheaply made. So did you get you some baby ducklings at the feed store? No home should be without at least a dozen, you know. ;) LOL

    Maria, thanks...I am very proud of her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make sun tea in an re-used glass milk jug. It's perfect, because it's meant to be poured from, and it's clear glass. I bought the milk just so I could have the jug, so I'm feeling gratified to have come up with some good way of using it.

    Maybe you could try leading the geese? They probably would just ignore you. Sounds like letting them put themselves to bed is the better/easier plan. :D

    ReplyDelete