Yes, it is true. Only 139 days until Christmas. And holiday pumpkin pies are on my mind! I baked the pumpkins, then I scooped the meat out, pureed it in my brand new food processor, bagged it up and put it in the freezer. Each bag has enough for two pies in it. Yum! I was going to make some pumpkin bread this evening but got busy and ran out of time. I have only done these two pumpkins so far and they made enough for 7 pies! WOW! I remember my Grandma Edna baking THE BEST pumpkin bread in coffee cans! I wish I had that recipe...does anyone have a good Grandma one?

This recipe ROCKS! It is battered jalapenos and oh man, are they good! I made them last night and served them with some cheesy queso dip. Delicious! You can find the recipe
here. I am going to slice up some jalapenos to freeze to make this recipe later this winter. I think this would be a perfect way to use up frozen peppers, and freezing is so easy.

Grating up Zucchini to freeze, for the ducks. Let me ask you....how did I ever live without a food processor? Don't laugh...I have been grating zucchini by hand! With one of those flat cheese graters! Until I broke it while grating all that gosh darn zucchini! : ) LOL The thought of grating up a gazillion more pounds was just a little daunting, so I invested in this baby and it has already earned it's keep between the zucchini and the pumpkin! I can already think of a ton of uses for it. I have no idea, however, where I am going to store it!

Some of the peppers I canned today. More mild jalapenos and cherry peppers.

Knitted Babe momma and boy/girl twins I made for my niece's birthday. Tomorrow is her party and I am very excited to give them to her! I hope she likes them.

I hope you have a great weekend! :) Next week I think I'll do a Christmas Is A Craft update....How are you doing on your Christmas preparations?
Awesome!
ReplyDeleteCan you share your canned jalapeno recipe?
~Faith
The recipe I used is from the Ball Blue Book and is called Pickled Pepper Mix. If you don't already have the book, let me know and I will definitely post it for you! :)
ReplyDeleteThose knitted baby babe are so cute!! What a cool, customized gift.
ReplyDeleteI'm really feeling the pressure of Christmas coming. Not only am I trying to knit so many gifts, I'm also hosting Christmas dinner this year for the first time. There is so much work left to do on our house. I know it is just one day but I just want everyone to be impressed. I've always lived in messy apartments until now and I'm sure my Grandma will be quick to point out anything less than great arond here.
I feel the same as you about my food processor. My MIL gave my a small one that I said I really didn't need, now I use it at least once a week. I'll have to pick up a bigger one at a garage sale next time I see one.
Have you thought of canning your pumpkin? I'll look around for a recipe and let you know if I find one. The Ball book instructs to cut it in chunks so I don't know if it would still process safely as puree. I'd love to have ready to go filling ahead of time! :)
I'm getting jealous of your harvesting! I can't wait till my stuff start to come in.
ReplyDeleteThose knitted dolls are adorable!
I just found this, just in case you're interested. I guess I'll be freezing my filling after all. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinprecautions.php
Bethany, I am looking forward to having my kitchen and dining room back! Every spare inch is covered with garden goodies! Jena - I think the older I get the lower impressing people drops on my list! :) LOL I bet you will have a grand first Christmas at your house and your gifts will be fabulous! :) Even if everything isn't perfect! I did see in the Ball book to can pumpkin chunks - I had already decided to freeze it anyway, just because there is so much to do right now. If you do find a recipe for ready to go canned pumpkin, do let me know!The kids cracked me up...they were arguing over the food processor and who was going to grate zuchhini! LOL :) They had to take turns. I do have a small one, that does like 2 cups? We use it to make Salsa...and it takes forever. This new one will make that job faster too!
ReplyDeleteJena - Thanks for the link! :) She has some great recipes...I bookmarked it. I didn't know there was such a thing as pumpkin butter! WOO HOO!!! I am definitely going to make some of that!
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh--you are officially susie homemaker!!!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING!!!
i'm so impressed with you...i feel like a sloth in comparison!
you are going to have a wonderful winter eating your own food through the cold months
i LOVE your dolls!
what a lucky little girl!
Yum. Pumpkin. We planted some sort of heirloom squash this year that is supposed to be great for pies. I love butternut squash too, but we didn't have enough room this year to plant both.
ReplyDeleteI love my food processor for grating zucchini. I also have no idea how I surivived without a Kitchen Aid mixer. I use that thing almost daily and sometimes up to three times a day.
Girl, you are a machine! I make pumpkin butter every year, and it's easy. I also usually can my pumpkin, just because freezer space is at a premium around here.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see everything coming in so great for you!
I've been embroidering vintage patterns on flour sack towels to work towards Christmas gifts. Now is def the time to be thinking about it.