Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Guinea's New Coop.....

My most awesome husband built the Guinea's First Home! THANK YOU SWEETHEART!!!!Everything used to make it was re-purposed stuff we had around.


They aren't quite sure that to make of it all yet! So far (the whole 20 minutes they have been out there!) they spend their time in the corner on a pile of pine shavings....I think because that is what they were used to on the floor of their brooder.
But we ushered them out and they seemed to enjoy it! Just still too new to them...you know, like the first time you let your baby touch grass and they give you that adorable yet confused "WHAT?!?!" look? It's like that.


Their food and water are inside the coop. We also have sticks strategically placed inside and out for them to roost on. That was the signal they were ready to be out of the house...every time we turned around one was up on the edge of the brooder! A time or two they'd make it to the floor and nose around chirping loudly until we put them back in with the flock. Amazingly enough I have both a cat and a dog in the house and neither one bothered or ate the Guineas.


I think I am officially a Poultry Enthusiast. :) I've got big plans for these fellas and plans in the works for some more birds. Like Silkies. Instead of the old lady with a billion cats...I'll be the old lady with chickens everywhere. :) LOL

4 comments:

  1. What a nice coop! Your hubby rocks! The guineas are so cute. Are they straight run or sexed? Are you going to name them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are still so cute. You know...I'm watching this Guinea project of yours closely to see if I need some. I want poultry everywhere. Chickens, turkeys, ducks, quail. What it is about all those bird brains that I like so much!

    Cute house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!
    lol
    I will be a bird lady with you...well, I have a zoo of animals, so I don't think you can pin it down to one particular species here.
    I have a medley of chickens that included two silkies, now one :(
    The chickens are my favorite...they are SO clean compared to the rest. I just want to pick them up and hug them.
    Dont' you find the guineas to be particularly sinky? Like vinegar poop or something? Maybe it's b/c I had so many

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be a "chicken lady" so bad... Since one of our dogs killed our bunnies though, I think I need to hold of on that for a few years. :-(

    ReplyDelete