Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Some Very Egg-citing News!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dirty Divas have laid their first eggs! These three were in their house today. They laid them on the floor...not an egg one in the nest boxes.
How many ducks can you fit in a kiddy pool? Sixteen!

We also noticed some interesting duck behavior today...when they were all in the pool one was standing on another one's back and holding onto it's neck feathers with it's beak! Some kind of odd duck surfing? :) These are the three duck eggs on the right and a regular store bought chicken egg on the left. Only fitting that the Dirty Divas lay dirty eggs! :) LOL
And last but certainly not least...the Guineas! Aren't they cute? I should have taken pictures last week...they have more than doubled in size and are getting feathers already! Orschlen had chick days going on last week so I came home with eight of these babies. We lost one to a nasty case of what I think was pasty butt - we tried to save him but it didn't work - luckily they replaced him so we still have 8. We got three Pearls, three Royal Purple, and two Lavender.

They are talkative little fellas! One of the first things I noticed is that they chirp non-stop when they are awake.
A tiny little pumpkin update...the squash bugs got the main vines, but not until after we had harvested a lot. The neat thing is that on the back side of our house in the pasture we have volunteer pumpkin vines growing from pumpkins we tossed out there last year! So this means we WILL have more pumpkins for Halloween! There are a lot on the vines and not one squash bug in sight. I hope those dirty beggars stay away!

7 comments:

  1. I suspect the ducks were mating, or attempting to do so at least.

    I like your circular pad that the pool is sitting on. Is it cement? That will help a little with the mess. Love ducks - hate the mess. LOL I miss their waddling, though.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith I hope not...they are all girl ducks! :) LOL The cement pad was there already and you are right, it DOES come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your ducks were playing house--momma and baby duck :)
    someone in my 3 ducks has started laying...so far 3 that i have found...in the middle of the pen as well
    have you eaten yours yet?
    i had a guy tell me that they won't start laying them in the right place until they are closer to a year?

    very cute little guineas--and great color choices!
    can't wait to see how you like them...they are capable of very loud chirping from the get go!
    fun update :)

    ps--we also grow the best pumpkins accidentally

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy for you jennifer! you have had a great year! duck eggs are super! congrats on the volunteer pumpkins. you have got alot done on your list this year hon! proud of you;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the eggs!! That is so exciting! How do they taste? Our new hens should start laying any day so I'm jealous. And congrats on the guinea fowl, I'm glad you finally got them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...do you realize how funny that is that the Dirty Divas have such dirty eggs? I just think that is hysterical! Do you use them like chicken eggs...in cakes and such? It's just all too fun to go out and find eggs.

    Now..the guineas. They are ADORABLE...but don't their heads get weird after they get older? A woman told me yesterday that they'll eat small mice too.

    I'll be interested in finding more about your guinea adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so fitting that the pumpkins that you didn't actually plant are the ones doing so well...like Murphy's law of the garden!

    Your little babies are so cute...those dirty eggs, well not quite as cute!!! Kim

    ReplyDelete