Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fertility or Infertility. Another Duck Egg Link.....

I found some more detailed info about how to tell weather your eggs are fertilized or not at this site.

As much as I believe that we do not have any male ducks or fertilized eggs, I gave another friend some eggs and told her they are not fertilized....after she cracked some this weekend she said she thinks the eggs are fertilized. She did like eating them and commented on the bright colored yolks! ! :) I'm in the process of finding out what she is seeing and thinking. Until then, of course I am doing more Internet research and egg cracking to compare pictures!! :) I am certainly no egg expert, but I was really confident that they aren't fertile. I may attempt incubating just to be super sure. It wouldn't bother me if they are fertilized...they are still fine for eating, but then they could also be hatchable too - I'd just like to know so that I can tell people if they are or aren't and be sure about it! I thought I was sure, now I am not so sure! LOL :) Story of my life.

Yesterday I hard-boiled some Duck Eggs....oh man, were they delicious! The kids loved them! Going to try making deviled eggs with them soon!

4 comments:

  1. keep us posted
    i would want to know too!

    how's your sister doing with those two adorable babies?
    i don't envy her right now...that's a lot of work, at least they are her first right? she won't know any different :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...the not knowing for sure is rediculous! :) LOL Sis and babies are doing fine - she does have a 7 year old, but nothing compares to having twins! Her honey got to take 6 weeks of leave from work so he is home helping too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is like a mystery blog now! lol

    I can't wait to you crack the case of the fertilized eggs. (pun intended, hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll sleuth a bit for you. those red/brownish spots in the egg are kinda like bruises. the duck gets all in aflutter over something and the forming egg gets a little bruise. i thought they were fertile eggs until did some research while we had no rooster and spotty eggs. maybe that helps?

    ReplyDelete