Wal-Mart carries outdoor fabric! I was thrilled. $9.97 per yard. I bought four yards. Turns out I needed 6 1/2! So I'll have to get back in to get 2 1/2 more yards. But the four yards I have is the perfect amount to recover the patio swing cushions and recover the pillows. When I was researching online yesterday I was thinking of ordering wider outdoor fabric, which would mean fewer yards. But since I bought it local and it was not as wide, that is where I got confused and didn't redo my math. Duh.
I also bought some size 18 needles for my machine for the heavier fabric and a spool of outdoor thread. Did you know they made outdoor thread? I didn't! :) And Wal-mart carries it! Ahhh...my love/hate relationship with the Wally-World continues.
I have also consulted with several sewing friends, as well as you all, and I am confident that both myself and my sewing machine CAN do this! I am excited. I promise, promise, promise I am going out right now to take before pictures. I'll warn you now...the swing looks terrible, the pictures WILL be scary! I will warn you now, I am the queen of "make it up as I go along" sewing. I am not so good with patterns...but give me a sewing project to figure out on my own and I'm a genius. Ok, not quite a genius...I have had a lot of things go south with this method....but this one is fairly straight forward and I am certain it will go well!
Ok, off to take pictures now and then....I am going to get busy and git-er-done!!
Friday, January 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I would have never guessed that wally world carries outdoor fabric. Good to know! Glad you found some, now I can't wait to see the finished project...
ReplyDeleteYour WalMart still carries fabric?
ReplyDelete(pouting)
~Faith
lol--good luck!
ReplyDeletecan't wait!
my mom is an avid sewer...i never could get to following patterns...but i am not brilliant without them either :)
Faith...yes, ours still does. And thank God because we are about an hour from any of the big stores, like Hobby Lobby or Michaels!
ReplyDeleteI have a similar relationship with Wal-Mart. They make me so mad I avoid them like the plague but when they have what I need I really like them. Good luck with your project!
ReplyDeleteI am SOO a "wing-it" type of person when it comes to sewing as well. Nice to see that others are as well. Sending happy thoughts your way that your project sends out wonderfully.
ReplyDeleteYour machine should be able to handle it...I'm always surprised at the work my old machine can do. Looking forward to seeing what you put together!
ReplyDeleteThats great that you can make it yourself. I know you saved tons of money!
ReplyDelete